Thursday, August 14, 2014

"Jesus So Lowly"

Since 2007, I have had the amazing opportunity to travel to England four times. Each trip has given me memories I will forever hold close to my heart. This summer, I was privileged to join the choir in York and in Windsor. This trip truly stood apart from the rest. Perhaps it was the growing friendships I’ve had since I was little, or even the fact I’m able to appreciate what our choir does for music ministry. Growing up, I thought music to be music, and nothing in between. But now I can see what the music we give out to the world really does. It changes people just as much as it does me. Music is a healing thing, which affects each of us in a different way.

A tradition of mine in 2007 is that upon the very first step into a cathedral, I look up at the different god-inspired ceilings which tell a story and intertwine with the music we sing. One of my favorite memories within the church had to be during one of my favorite piece of music, "Jesus So Lowly." As we were singing the third verse, -- a more quiet and distinct one --  I looked up at the ceiling and saw these brilliant golden swirls lightly tracing into these indescribable shapes, and I felt this overwhelming sensation believing it to be God. I almost broke into tears. I heard these ringing coming from the voices around me that shook the room, a feeling I will absolutely never forget.

One other memory that stood out vividly was my journey to the hospital, to be treated for tonsilitis, and having an amazing conversation with my two favorite people, the Ballings. I also got the chance to appreciate York for what it gave us and finally understood the miracle of finding this choir, because without it, I would not be where I am today.


Brennan Burke

No comments:

Post a Comment