Sunday, July 22, 2012

July 20, 2012- Robert \Hill
As you can see from this picture we are spending a lot of time in close proximity to each other.  This picture is from an excursion to a reconstructed Anglo-Saxon village that is used as a living archaeological laboratory to find out how people lived 1500 years ago.  We all crammed into one small house and set a record for the most people in this house at one time.
At times on these choir tours it can feel like we are spending all our time like this.  Privacy, such as is it, is in short supply and very precious.  This morning as the boys and girls were rehearsing I was able to take a few minutes to say morning prayer in a side chapel of Ely Cathedral before the tourists arrived.  My 15 minutes alone with God in one of the world's grandest churches felt like a guilty pleasure.
And then I realized this is exactly what God wants us to do.  It's important to minister to others.  It's equally important to spend time in community with others in a spirit of fellowship.  But if I'm not in good physical and spiritual shape I'm not going to be useful to anyone.  Those 15 minutes I spent alone with God were actually part of my mission, not a selfish pleasure.
I hope you'll take some time to yourself today as part of your mission.  As we sing evensong this afternoon at 5:30 British time (12:30 Lexington time) I invite you to join us in noon prayer or a few moments of silent prayer.  At evensong yesterday we prayed for Christ Church Cathedral in Lexington and I ask you today to pray for Holy Trinity Cathedral in Ely.  We all miss family and friends back home but can be united in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment